Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Aunt Jemima No More





So my brother and I grew up making this stuff at least once a week. It's easy.
You simply pour all ingredients into the bag,
knead the plastic bag and pour contents
into the included baking pan.







But recently I haven't been able to locate this nostalgic treat on the grocer shelves. Normally I would avoid box products and opt to make my own anyway, but pregnancy brings on nostalgic craving in full force and I've wanted this particular Coffee Cake a few times over the last nine months.

It seems that my brother and sister-in-law have recently had similar cravings and found themselves "lucky" when they discovered one of these mixes in my mother's pantry. (Side note: My Mom and David travel for a living + Mom doesn't cook + David, being the Minnesotan he is, hordes food for years = Pantry full of good intentions). Poor Ryan and Heather; It should have come to no surprise that said Coffee Cake mix was possibly older than our youngest brother.

So, as an Ode to Ryan and Heather, I created this:

But I have to be completely honest here. I also first attempted these:
These were my attempt at making a Vegan Coffee Cake. I was a little let down with the overall flavor (as I am craving a specific taste) and so I then created a homemade Coffee Cake with regular ol' ingredients. I have to say, I am rather pleased.

For the Vegan Crumb Cake Recipe I used, click here .
I will be making another Vegan attempt at this breakfast treat. I just need to do some research.

Recipe:
(For Cake)
1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup vegan cane sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used kosher, but I think granulated salt would be better)
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature gooey)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 large egg

(For Crumbs On Top)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached flour


Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix together butter, soy milk, and egg with whisk attachment in mixer. Then mix in flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into greased cake pan of your choice. Then make your crumb topping. Whisk together butter, sugars, cinnamon, and salt until smooth. Add flour. Mix with your fingertips until looks like a crumb topping. Sprinkle crumbs over top of cake. Bake cake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes. Eat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i have to say that i still ong for this little treat, i assume this is comfort food and reminds us of good times together. I am laughing that ryan and heather raided the pantry, BTW it is not that old i purchased at marsh.

Anonymous said...

...pretty sure i ate that with you about a million times growing up!...Kristin